dimanche 7 février 2010

Interview With Cordectomy

1-Hello Mike , first I would like to thank you for taking the time in answering these questions give us a short introduction of Cordectomy ?

Thank YOU for the interview!! Cordectomy was started in mid-late 2007 under the name of Sliced With Precision, and it was a solo project of mine, until I added 4 other members, but that was kind of short-lived and I decided to revive Sliced With Precision with a new name and beginning.

2- Please give us an explanation of the inception of Cordectomy , What is your goal and your target what inspired you to create a slamming, brutal death metal band and what intentions did you have ?

Well, I originally had intended it to be a solo project of mine, then I made it a full-band, but we never played any shows and just wrote a bunch of songs and played them, then that fell through. At that point, I was busy with other projects such as Malodorous and Splattered Entrails, but recently I've been dedicating my time to Cordectomy and writing and recording for new releases like crazy. I wanted to create a death metal band that could be melodic, super-slammy, somewhat blasty, but mostly different. I was getting sick of the slam metal scene being swamped with one-note breakdowns.

3-Are you gonna introduce other members to Cordectomy ?

I had at one point, under another name. But I really like the ease of writing and recording with just one mind behind the music rather than writing something and having to teach it, and rehearse it. It seems like more of a hassle for me than anything, considering the only intention I have at this point is to record music. If I make the decision to play live, then obviously, I'll start to search for other members. It's a possibility.

4- What are the metal bands that influenced you or motivated you ?

Abysmal Torment is definitely a HUGE influence. I also listen to a lot of Amputated, Cerebral Incubation, Condemned, Corporectomy, Embryonic Depravity, Guttural Secrete, Iniquity, Katalepsy, Jenovavirus, Kraanium, the PLASMARIFLE and Vomit the Soul right before recording to get some ideas and influence.

5- What kind of music do you listen to yourself ?

Besides all the death metal, a lot of Beatles, Deftones, Alice in Chains and just straight up grunge. And Dave Matthews Band because Carter Beauford is a god on drums.

6- How is the metal scene in New York ?

It's okay. It seems like there's just a shit ton of emo kids in New York. But, NY IS home to Suffocation, so there's definitely still some good stuff goin on here.

7- What are some of your non-musical influences?

I'm definitely into horror movies, dirtbikes and souped-up import tuners.

8- What are your occupations outside Cordectomy ?

I just finished a semester at a state university up in New York, I've been submitting resumes like crazy and I'm signed up and ready to take the exam to apply to the New York City Police Department. I'm also a full-time fiancee, Hahaha.




9-Which are your 5 favourite albums of all time ?

Deftones - White Pony
Alice in Chains - Alice in Chains
The Beatles - Revolver
Iniquity - Grime
Deftones - Deftones

10-What do you think about the brutal death , the slamming brutal death or the general extreme metal scene at the moment ?

World-wide, there have been some great brutal death metal albums being released. Amputated's Wading Through Rancid Offal is currently in my rotation, goooood album. Vomit the Soul's new album, Apostles of Inexpression, New Embryonic Depravity. I've been nothing but impressed lately.

11- What is your opinion , what is your réaction or you objection versus the metalcore and deathcore scene who invaded the death metal scene ?

There's definitely been an abundance of some metalcore and deathcore bands, admittedly. Some are good and original, and some are just plain rip offs of bands that already suck. I have never looked at them as invading the death metal scene though. It's not part of the death metal scene. It's separate. They may have been influenced by REAL, great death metal bands, but just because I may be influenced by the Beatles, doesn't make me pop/rock.

12- What can you tell us about the songs that are available on your officiel myspace page ?

I tried to really give the MySpace player a song from every release. With most of the songs being from the demo (which is free for download), and other tracks that are just singles off of The Decrypted Epoch, The Art of Extinction and The Unearthed.

13- Can you tell us about The art of Extinction ?

The Art of Extinction I had originally planned on there being 20 tracks, but ran out of time before I started school in the fall of 2009. So I had 13 tracks finished. But it has a very raw, aggressive, grindcore-like sound. I'll be releasing it very shortly. I'm working out some ideas and agreements to get it released within the next two months. Definitely keep an eye out.

14-What are the lyrics about your music ?

I usually just write lyrics about anything. It doesn't have to be gory, or brutal. But I won't even release lyrics, because most of the time, I'm just writing words that fit the way I like into riffs. They don't even make any sense, Hahaha.

15-Please explain the title and cover image of your Full-length The Unearthed ?

I found that image in a database of images that were from the Kyungsan Cobalt Mine which was supposedly a secret from the Korean War. There are still remains from the Korean War on exhibit in the mine. The cover of the Unearthed is a picture of a skull from the mine that is supposedly from the war. I thought of the name "The Unearthed" after thinking about how the skull was unearthed from the mine amongst many other human skeletal remains.

16-You have two Full-length in 2010 ,how you work to get two full length in 2010 ?

I've been writing these two full-lengths since 2009. I just plan to actually release them in 2010.

17- Any future split with any band ?

I'd love to do a split with a band, it's just finding the right band that's relatively at the same point of their career as I am with Cordectomy.

17- When I've listen your music I noticed a little disadvantage by the recording the quality of sound is not at the valid level ?

I had a VERY rough recording for The Art of Extinction and the demos. But the Unearthed was definitely a step up from the previous releases. I recently finished building a recording studio in my basement. The Art of Extinction and the demos were recorded while the basement was in shambles in the process of being built. Even The Unearthed was too. But I just completed the building of the studio and future releases I hope to have a much better quality. I also got some new equipment as well, a new mixer, and firewire interface, and some other units.

18- Did you find a label how you record your music ?

Just today when I received these questions for this interview I was offered by a label to release some of my music. Just pro cd-r releases for now. But I'm holding off on releasing the Unearthed until I can find some label willing to press it professionally.

19-Which label would fit your music?

I look at the slam aspect of the music, and I'd love to get on Permeated Records or Brutal Bands. That would be awesome if I could.

20-Are you going to record your stuff at more professional studio some day?

Well, I just finished building my own professional studio. While it's not the best that's in the area, I would know how to best record in my basement and do my best to get the most ideal sound I could. We'll see how future releases go. If I hop on a label that wants me to record in a more professional studio, I'd probably take advantage of the oppurtunity.

21-What is the biggest change compared to your the debut ?
I'd say my vocals. I could only do low growls, but my vocals have definitely expanded. I'm better at high's and gutturals now. I'm most proud of my vocals and my drums. The guitar work is more melodic, but brutal I'd say.

22-Any fav bands to get on stage with ?

I'd love to share a stage with Vomit the Soul, or Putrid Pile. To accompany Shaun on stage would be awesome.

23-What is your daily consumption amount of alcohol,cigarettes,drugs ?

Alcohol, when given the chance, I'll drink til I'm puking. And I smoke about a pack of cigarettes a day. I used to have a problem with drugs and marijuana, but marijuana's not an illicit drug and shouldn't be illegal. But I'm getting too political. Anyways, I'm clean of ALL the drugs I used to do now.

24- Latest news about Cordectomy ?

The Unearthed will be finished very soon, and the Art of Extinction, as well as the Decrypted Epoch will be released within the next 3 months hopefully. Definitely keep checking the MySpace page out!!

25-Thank you alot Mike for sharing your time with with Depravity Zine and good luck for you do you have any particular messages for any particular people , any closing notes or any comment here last words are yours ?

Well, I thank you at Depravity Zine for giving me the oppurtunity for an interview. Definitely keep checking back on the Cordectomy MySpace page at
myspace.com/cordectomy. And if you like what you hear, let everyone know, SPREAD THE WORD!!